Special Statement on COVID-19
To Our Wonderful Facilities, Families, and Patients,
Nothing is more important to us than the safety of the individuals, facilities, and community that we serve. With the recent news about COVID-19 diagnoses in California and across the country, we are writing to reassure you that our team is following these developments closely. To our partners, colleagues, and medical professionals, please know that we recognize the stress and uncertainty we share, and you have our empathy and support.
Be assured that Board-Certified music therapists practice standard infection control at all times. Per the Certification Board for Music Therapists Competency Domain B. “Safety,” we are trained in strict infection protocol and safety precautions to protect vulnerable populations. With respect to COVID-19, we are following all additional recommendations and infection control protocols recommended by the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, and the American Music Therapy Association. We will continue to bring music therapy services to the community in a manner that minimizes as much risk of infection as possible. Here are some of the steps that we are taking to maintain the health and safety of our patients and staff:
- First, our therapists are carrying hand sanitizer with them at all times, in addition to following standard handwashing protocol.
- Second, during this period of heightened risk, we have limited the instruments we use to only materials that meet medical sanitization standards of infection control protocol. We keep our instruments clean with using bleach wipes and spray. This may change what instruments you see used in a session.
- Third, we will minimize physical touch during greetings and sessions without compromising the quality of our music therapy services.
- Fourth, we are committed to do our part to curb the spread of COVID-19 by maintaining an open dialogue with the facilities, families, and patients that we serve. We are stating our commitment to stay home in self-quarantine if we are experiencing any symptoms. We are incredibly grateful that we have such wonderful professional relationships with the individuals and facilities that we serve, and we ask that everyone do their part to keep us all safe and healthy by alerting us if you or someone in your home or facility is showing symptoms of COVID-19, or if they have had close contact with a potentially infected individual.
- Fifth, when possible and requested, we will offer telehealth music therapy services in lieu of traditional, in-person music therapy services. We recognize the stress of isolation and fear, especially in communities with low social support or especially vulnerable to disease.
Again, we are incredibly grateful to facilities, patients, and community for your cooperation in navigating this public health concern. We love having the opportunity to bring music therapy to the community. We encourage everyone to stay safe, wash their hands, and practice self-care. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support you, your family, your facility, or your community.
Thank you and stay healthy!
Lindsay Zehren, MT-BC, Director of Programs
MusicWorx, Inc. Staff