Alumni Interview: Tara Dutcher
Tara Dutcher, #20
Interviewed by Kristen McSorley
Current Intern #124
Tara Dutcher, Intern #20, now works professionally as a musician and private teacher, noting how the MusicWorx internship prepared her for the freelancing elements of her current careers.
Enjoy Tara’s answers to our interview questions below:
1. What is your current job?
Professional musician and private music teacher.
2. Would you say MusicWorx helped you get to where you are today?
3. What drew you to the MusicWorx internship?
Dr. Reuer’s reputation and the convenience of my family living in San Diego.
4. What was your favorite moment of your MusicWorx experience?
To be honest, it’s probably the fun and fellowship with my fellow interns. There were lots of great clinical moments as well, but what I remember most are my intern friends.
5. What aspects of what you learned at the MusicWorx internship prepared you for your career today?
I gained an appreciation and understanding for how freelancing works.
6. What was one of your biggest challenges during your internship? (gas money & lack of time aren’t valid responses!)
Running groups and functioning in a therapeutic capacity on September 12, 2001. That was the biggest professional and personal challenge in my life up to that point.
7. What was your biggest “aha” moment for your professional and/or personal growth?
Same answer as #6.
8. What would be your one piece of advice to future MusicWorx interns?
You get out of it what you put into it.