Alumni Interviews: Angela Neve #16
Angela is a board-certified neurologic music therapist, songwriter and co-owner of The Music Therapy Center of California. She received her degree in Music Education/Music Therapy from Wartburg College, graduating Summa Cum Laude. She is currently pursuing her master’s degree in neurologic music therapy from Colorado State University. She has been working as a music therapist for over eleven years in the San Diego area with children, teenagers and adults with autism.
1. What is your current job?
Owner and co-director of The Music Therapy Center of California
2. What drew you to the MusicWorx internship?
I wanted to have a supervisor who would be a good mentor.
3. Are there any aspects of what you learned at MW internship that best prepared you for your career today?
Yes, how to be my own boss, how to manage my time, and how to keep going even when it was hard!
4. What was one of your biggest challenges during your internship?
I would say learning to adjust to a completely new culture. I moved 2,000 miles away from everyone and knew not a soul when I moved here. So learning about how to establish a new identity in a new place was a challenge.
5. What was your biggest “aha” moment for your professional and/or personal growth?
There have been so many! Learning that hard work and perseverance DO pay off and to keep going even when it’s hard. Also, surrounding myself with a team of people who are good at what they do.
6. What would be your one piece of advice to future MusicWorx interns?
Be prepared for this to be one of the hardest, most stretching experiences of your life but also one of the most rewarding. I learned more about myself and the profession in six months during my internship than I did from years at school. 🙂